Be an active HOBY alumni!
“HOBY changed my life by allowing me to transform from a shy, awkward sophomore into a bold, authentic woman. With a newborn confidence, I was able to leave HOBY knowing that not only could I change the world, but I would change the world.” – Alisha Wein, Central PA HOBY alumni and volunteer
The top 5 signs that you are one of HOBY’s Alumni:
- You always spell OUTSTANDING correctly
- You could wear a HOBY t-shirt every day for two weeks without doing laundry
- No matter where you go, you find other HOBY alumni and bond immediately
- Service is a way of life for you
- You are a leader!
Does that describe you? Whether you attended a HOBY leadership program last spring or fifty years ago, you are part of the family of fellow HOBY alumni who number over 375,000! HOBY is proud of all of its alumni and we encourage you to stay connected. Recharge that HOBY spirit within you by becoming part of our elite active alumni!
Want to be engaged with Central PA HOBY? Here’s how:
Log your volunteer hours in the Leadership for Service portal. Encourage others to volunteer with you!
- Wear your HOBY swag. You never know when that will be the catalyst for a conversation with a fellow alum or someone who is looking to be involved. Need more HOBY swag? Buy it online!
- Give back to HOBY fiscally, via Gifts-in-Kind, or with your time (or all of these!). Remember that while our alums are OUTSTANDING we have wonderful friends (read: non-alums) who do great volunteer work as well. Talk to the other OUTSTANDING people in your life who might be interested in being involved.
- Attend the World Leadership Congress!
- Talk to your high school guidance counselor now to ensure that they have received information about the next HOBY Seminar. Make sure that they register a primary ambassador and an alternate in case the primary student cannot attend.
- Contact us! Reach out to our Director of Alumni Relations, Arielle Harleman.
More information for HOBY 2019 alumni in your EXCELeration Kit!
- HOBY Christmas in Hershey – a favorite tradition in Central PA is a HOBY reunion around winter break in Hershey, PA. Stay tuned for this year’s details!
- A one-day leadership workshop for high school freshmen. Volunteers and participants (ambassadors) needed! Learn more here.
- Reunion during HOBY Central PA Seminar
- Every May – Friday of seminar, Saturday of seminar, or overnight option
- A great combination of social time, professional leadership development, and exposure to HOBY!
- PAST EVENTS
- May 2019: Reunion at Shippensburg
- July 15, 2018: SCI Walk, Williamsport
- August 12, 2018: Walk In Art Center, Schuylkill Haven
- September 15, 2018: Global Aid Network (GAIN), Mount Joy
- October 14, 2018: Camp Victory, Milville
- November, 2018: Adams County SPCA, Gettysburg
- December 15, 2018: Central PA Food Bank, Harrisburg
- Day of Service: Children’s Advocacy Center (Scranton)
- Day of Service: Lancaster (at Greystone Manor Therapeutic Riding Center)
- Day of Service: Shippensburg (Shippensburg Head Start/ CPA HOBY Seminar)
- Day of Service: Emergency Vehicle Wash in Schuylkill
- Alumni Social in Williamsport
- Day of Service: Loyalsock Lions Club Craft Fair
- Day of Service: Carbondale YMCA Holiday Festival
- Christmas in Hershey / Volunteer Project (annual event)
- Reunion during HOBY CPA seminar (annual event)
Alumni Achievements / In the News
“My HOBY journey started when a friend of mine told me about her time at HOBY and suggested I apply for the local seminar. My local seminar was amazing and I learned so much about myself. I saw positive changes after my local seminar. I’ve had several battles with anxiety and other similar things. After leaving the local seminar I saw a huge boost in my confidence and in general, I saw my life in a whole new light. After my local seminar, I had a choice to make.” -Tyler Farace, CPA and WLC 2018. Read more about Tyler’s journey.
- HOBY International blog Including Introverts: Why “Introverted Leader” Is Not a Contradiction – HOBY CPA volunteer Amy Hudock
- HOBY International Volunteer Spotlight: Arielle Harleman – HOBY Central Pennsylvania, 2009
- HOBY International Alumni Spotlight: Sarah Laible – HOBY Central Pennsylvania, 2017
- Lizzie Gumula ’16 directed (as a volunteer) the theatre program at Our Lady of Peace Elementary, while also working with the Scranton Shakespeare Festival (nonprofit that brings free, professional theater to NEPA!)
- Kylie Hileman ’16, Artist of the Week!
- Raelyn Lares ’16 is actively being the change she wishes to see in the world.
- Taylor Davis ’17 co-organized a food drive at band camp, collecting 1,500 items from 183 students!
- Palak Patel ’16, TEDx talk: Loving Life Starts with Loving Yourself: Body Love
- Connery McFadden ’16, recipient of the 2017 Mini-THON Rising Diamond Award
- Emmah Bowers ’15, HOBY Outstanding Young Alumni 2017 – created First Position Dance Program
- Congrats to all of our HOBY Central PA Academic All-Stars!
- Rocco Roguskie, HOBY CPA and WLC ’15 – Valedictorian of his graduating class (May 2017)
- Lisa Nguyen, HOBY CPA ’15 – Penn Live Best and Brightest Class of 2017
- McGwire Molino, HOBY CPA ’15 – Dancing, more at charity event
- Lisa Nguyen, HOBY CPA ’15 – “I was the first member of my family to graduate high school and now I’m headed to Brown.”
- CLeW planned by Ty Zimerofsky, HOBY CPA and WLC ’15 and ALA ’17
About the Alumni Association
Arielle Harleman serves as our Alumni Advisor. If you are interested in taking on a leadership role in the future, please contact her – we’d love to have you plan a project! Contact our Alumni Association Officers. Interested in running for a position? Find out more about each position, and read the Alumni Association bylaws to learn more.
Take a sneak peek at two groups of volunteers, comprised entirely of alumni, and how much fun they had at the seminar: