Be an active HOBY alumni!
“During those five days at HOBY as a member of Team Alumni was when I finally understood what high on life fully meant. I learned that it truly is abuzz; I was dazed from all the passion, energy, enthusiasm, and love. Many Ambassadors thanked Team Alumni for changing their lives. Many even said that we saved their lives. I didn’t even think of it as volunteering because I was having more fun than I had ever had.” – Matt Hockney, Central PA HOBY Team Alumni
THIS JUST IN: Check out our alumna Raelyn Lares, and how she is being the change she wants to see in the world.
The top 5 signs that you are one of HOBY’s Alumni:
- You always spell OUTSTANDING correctly
- You could wear a HOBY t-shirt every day for two weeks without doing laundry
- No matter where you go, you find other HOBY alumni and bond immediately
- Service is a way of life for you
- You are a leader!
Does that describe you? Whether you attended a HOBY leadership program last spring or fifty years ago, you are part of the family of fellow HOBY alumni who number over 375,000! HOBY is proud of all of its alumni and we encourage you to stay connected. Recharge that HOBY spirit within you by becoming part of our elite active alumni!
Want to be engaged with Central PA HOBY? Here’s how:
Log your volunteer hours in the Leadership for Service portal. Encourage others to volunteer with you!
- Wear your HOBY swag. You never know when that will be the catalyst for a conversation with a fellow alum or someone who is looking to be involved. Need more HOBY swag? Buy it online!
- Give back to HOBY fiscally, via Gifts-in-Kind, or with your time (or all of these!). Remember that while our alums are OUTSTANDING we have wonderful friends (read: non-alums) who do great volunteer work as well. Talk to the other OUTSTANDING people in your life who might be interested in being involved.
- Attend the World Leadership Congress, Advanced Leadership Academy, or an International Trip.
- Talk to your high school guidance counselor now to ensure that they have received information about the next HOBY Seminar . Make sure that they register a primary ambassador and an alternate in case the primary student cannot attend.
- Contact us! Reach out to our Director of Alumni Relations, Arielle Harleman.
More information for HOBY 2017 alumni in your EXCELeration Kit!
- Day of Service and Reunion event at Hershey!
- December 16
- We will start the day from 1-3pm sorting cards for Veterns at the local Red Cross ( 1804 N. 6th Street, Harrisburg, PA 17102) then we will mosey on over to Chocolate World/ Sweet Lights for some reunion time 3:30-6:30pm
- A one-day leadership workshop for high school freshmen. Volunteers and participants (ambassadors) needed!
- Reunion during HOBY Central PA Seminar
- May 2018 – Friday of seminar, Saturday of seminar, or overnight option
- A great combination of social time, professional leadership development, and exposure to HOBY!
- Day of Service and Reunion event at Hershey!
- PAST EVENTS
- Day of Service: Lancaster (at Greystone Manor Therapeutic Riding Center)
- Day of Service: Shippensburg (Shippensburg Head Start/ CPA HOBY Seminar)
- Day of Service: Emergency Vehicle Wash in Schuylkill
- Alumni Social in Williamsport
- Day of Service: Loyalsock Lions Club Craft Fair
- Day of Service: Carbondale YMCA Holiday Festival
- Christmas in Hershey / Volunteer Project (annual event)
- Reunion during HOBY CPA seminar (annual event)
Alumni Achievements / In the News
- Taylor Davis ’17 co-organized a food drive at band camp, collecting 1,500 items from 183 students!
- Palak Patel ’16, TEDx talk: Loving Life Starts with Loving Yourself: Body Love
- Connery McFadden ’16, recipient of the 2017 Mini-THON Rising Diamond Award
- Emmah Bowers ’15, HOBY Outstanding Young Alumni 2017 – created First Position Dance Program
- Congrats to all of our HOBY Central PA Academic All-Stars!
- Rocco Roguskie, HOBY CPA and WLC ’15 – Valedictorian of his graduating class (May 2017)
- Lisa Nguyen, HOBY CPA ’15 – Penn Live Best and Brightest Class of 2017
- McGwire Molino, HOBY CPA ’15 – Dancing, more at charity event
- Lisa Nguyen, HOBY CPA ’15 – “I was the first member of my family to graduate high school and now I’m headed to Brown.”
- CLeW planned by Ty Zimerofsky, HOBY CPA and WLC ’15 and ALA ’17
About the Alumni Association
Arielle Harleman serves as our Alumni Advisor. If you are interested in taking on a leadership role in the future, please contact her – we’d love to have you plan a project! Special thanks to Sarah Smith and Ty Zimerofsky for taking on leadership roles in various ways to support the efforts of the Alumni Association!